Photo luoman from canva
ACCTING aims to understand the impact of Green Deal policies on vulnerable groups, prevent inequalities, and produce knowledge and innovations to advance behavioural change at individual and collective levels for an inclusive and equal European Green Deal. This bottom-up initiative was collected by Don Lee within ACCTING’s mapping of inspiring practice cases, within the Food Security Research Line. Read our report on all 693 mapped initiatives.
Deep Medicine Circle, USA
An alarming increase in women victims of domestic violence in Serbia created an urgent need to design and implement an innovative response to protect the survivors and the ones at risk of being exposed to this danger.
Reawakening the Indigenous knowledge
Deep Medicine Circle (DMC) is a worker of a colour-led non-profit organisation that aims to “heal the wounds of colonialism through food, medicine, restoration, story and learning.” They emphasize the importance of healing and care for Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities and non-humans. DMC is formed by a collective of farmers, elders, physicians, healers, herbalists, lawyers, ecological designers, scholars, political ecologists, educators, youth, storytellers and artists. They pursue “earth-based, Indigenous ecofeminist principles of organising, with participatory governance structures and circles of decision-making.” In producing solutions to the climate crisis, they turn to indigenous knowledge to repair the broken relationships between people and nature.
Food security as a lens into a deeper transformation of intersectional inequalities
To achieve its mission, the activities below have been conducted:
- Running urban farm sites and distributing nutritious food to those in need. They do this by partnering with Poor Magazine’ Sliding Scale Cafe, Moms for Housing, UCSF Pediatric Clinic, and Wahpepah’s Kitchen.
- Carrying out the “Farming is Medicine” project that develops an ecological farming model bringing indigenous knowledge with agroecological care for soil and water.
- Carrying out the “Heal the Healers” workshop programme to support the frontline healthcare workers
- Opening spaces for mental health issues and grief, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Building partnerships with the indigenous peoples in their return to their ancestral lands and reconnecting to the land
- Prioritising storytelling and arts in their work “We are bridging times and worlds together through story, art and imaginings”
- Organising workshops on preparing food and medicine from crops and wild foods
- Providing innovative job training module for farmers that bridges agroecology with Indigenous Traditional Ecological Knowledge
Along with that, in September 2021, the farm donated fresh greens and herbs to: “UCSF Pediatric Clinic’s Food Farmacy”, which gives free food to hospital patients and their families; POOR Magazine’s Sliding Scale Cafe, which distributes food and other resources throughout deep East Oakland; and Moms 4 Housing, a collective of houseless and marginally housed mothers”.
Find out more here.
More inspiring initiatives
Energy saving checks to reduce poverty
Stromspar-Check (SSC) is a joint project by the Deutsche Caritasverb ... Read More
Environmentally friendly energy production
Måbjerg BioEnergy is a project situated in Måbjerg, an area on the ... Read More
For a better quality of life for the community
Terras de Cascais is a Portuguese citizens-led initiative that started Read More
Major strides to break the cycle of deep poverty in Turkey
During the pandemic, the Deep Poverty Network was established in 2019 ... Read More
The 1st support system focusing on gender-specific homelessness in the Czech Republic
The idea is to empower homeless women by encouraging them to ... Read More
The economic empowerment of women victims of violence
The Good Garden is an innovative contribution to the joint effort from Read More
The Road to Empowering Roma Women
in Dencsháza, Hungary, a village of 560 people in Baranya County an ... Read More
From citizens’ initiative to energy cooperative
HagelandStroomt; a citizens-led initiative aimed to support SMEs in ... Read More
Fighting for a green future
The Youth Green Movement (previously the Green Student Movement) is a ... Read More
An emblematic example of combining agriculture and energy
Speranza Cooperative, an Italian organisation based in Candiolo, in ... Read More