ACCTING aims to understand the impact of Green Deal policies on vulnerable groups, prevent inequalities, and produce knowledge and innovations to advance behavioural change at individual and collective levels for an inclusive and equal European Green Deal. This bottom-up initiative was collected by Martin Felix Gajdusek and Gabor Szüdi within ACCTING’s mapping of inspiring practice cases within the Clean Energy and Suistainable Mobility research lines. Read our report on all 693 mapped initiatives.
Living Lab Experiment Graz, Austria
A Collaborative Approach
The Living Lab Experiment at Griesplatz in Graz involves engaging local stakeholders in the smart redesign of the square, which plays a vital role as a traffic hub. This includes residents in the vicinity, cyclists, pedestrians, and marginalized groups. The EU project (Urban Europe) and the University of Graz facilitate the Living Lab which is the second oldest and largest in Austria. The initiative has a long-term Smart City Strategy that prioritizes mobility measures, such as public transport, e-mobility, and city logistics. The University of Technology Graz is also a project partner.
Activities to foster exchange and engagement among stakeholders
The Living Lab experiment for Griesplatz consists of five phases:
- Identifying the key stakeholders, including entrepreneurs, civil society organizations, district leaders, residents, associations, companies, landowners, and investors in the area.
- Focusing on collecting stakeholder assumptions, interests, and expectations through workshops, public events, online platforms, and local presence. The aim is to comprehend their needs and functions for Griesplatz and its surroundings.
- Organizing a design competition for the Griesplatz area, challenging citizens and civil society organizations to suggest their designs. Although the winning design may not be fully implemented, useful elements will be incorporated.
- Combining the results of the design competition with stakeholder perspectives and suggestions from Phase 2 to inform the final architectural redesign of Griesplatz.
- Evaluating the impact of the Living Lab through surveys and a joint reflection workshop.
More inspiring initiatives
This initiative brings together social researchers and educational ... Read More
The Austrian Red Cross and Hitradio Ö3 founded Team Austria (original: Read More
“Linava” is the Lithuanian national association of motor carriers. One Read More
SoulRiders is a community-led charitable organisation based in the ... Read More
As life expectancy continues to rise, the Nordic region is seeing a ... Read More
The Stichting Zonnebus Cuijk uses an electric bus to transport elderly Read More
ATIX Mulher (Brazil) is the female branch of the Indigenous ... Read More
#BIKEYGEES is a remarkable initiative that aims to empower refugee ... Read More
Veloevolution is a dynamic discussion platform and grassroots ... Read More